4.12.2009

PEEK A DOOR - 6:30AM

Hercules realized we didn't have the money to drive from Minneapolis to Iowa City to Omaha. We could have, but we would have come home with $2.00 so we decided not to go to the Trash Talk show. I was super bummed but luckily I got dropped off along I-80 in Iowa and got picked up by Nik, Kailey, Lindsay and Moose. I had already been in the van for 6 hours then I realized I still had another 8 in the car, fuck. I did it anyways because it was Kailey's birthday and I wanted to hang out with her and of course I wanted to see Trash Talk again.

Iowa City is just your average college town, looked just like Lincoln, Lawrence, Madison, you've seen it all before. Joe formerly of Haunted Basement in Des Moines fame was there and it was really cool to see him again. The first band that played was a straight up radio rock band from Minneapolis called "A Verse Unsung." I thought they were awful but I guarantee they will be huge on the radio someday, they have what it takes. Most people just sat down and watched them but I stood in front with Joe and tried to at least pretend I was interested. I eventually sat down about 6 songs in.

In Defence played next and that was a great fucking time. Hercules played with them in October of 2007 in Minneapolis and they were a great time then. The dudes in the band are all really nice and they're just down for punk rock music. They had some great things to say about circle pits, tacos, pizza and gay marriage. Kids were really into them, even the nazi punks fuck off kids came out to show their support which was pretty wild. Haven't seen any of those kids in a long time, wish they'd come to local Omaha-Lincoln shows.

Trash Talk played next and I don't know what to say other than they were fucking amazing. Probably the most legit band in hardcore music right now. They tour hard, play hard as fuck and they're just super down to earth dudes who do this because they love punk rock muisc. They played a great set of stuff from all of their releases since Walking Disease. I was bummed for people from Nebraska didn't come out, it would have been a killer time. Lee told me that they're doing an all basement tour this summer and they really want to play Ghost House again so everyone be looking out for that show.

We didn't stay for The Bronx, I don't think any of us were super interested in seeing them and it was already 12:30 when Trash Talk got done and we still had a 4 hour drive back to Omaha. You know my old ass passed out right when I got in the car. I had a lot of trouble sleeping, I pinched a nerve in my arm at the show and it hurt like hell the entire car ride home. Still hurts today, I'm super pissed off. Got home around 4:30 but was still wide away from the 4 hour nap I just took. So I talked to Kailey on the phone for a little bit then watched all of Clerks 2 and threw in Grandmas Boy before I finally hit it around 6:30am.

This week has been pretty sweet, got out of Omaha for a while, saw some cool bands play. Whammy. Playing tonight in Papillion @ T.O. Garcias. Sorry that Hercules is playing AGAIN. Don't get sick of us. I'm excited to see what this place is all about, I'm always down for new venues. Hopefully some kids come out, fuck easter sunday. I'm back home so now I probably won't have a lot to write about. Hopefully I do though. I don't even know if anyone reads this.

No comments: