4.28.2010

Embarrassed

Last night I was in Omaha and I told the story of the first time I remember being embarrassed. I was born in Kearney, Nebraska, a small town 3 hours west of Omaha some of you may or may not have heard of. I lived there until I was 5 years old then the Stephens family packed up and hit the road to Omaha. While in Kearney I really got into the power rangers. I attended a Catholic Pre School and I only went a few times a week. I remember my mom picking me up every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and taking me to McDonald's so I could get a happy meal. Then we'd go home and I'd eat said happy meal while watching my favorite show in the world...The Power Rangers. The ORIGINAL Power Rangers. Not this Power Rangers Nitro Force or whatever bullshit.

I of course like most young kids took Karate lessons. Mostly because I wanted to be able to fight like the Power Rangers. So one summer day I woke up early, threw on my uniform and went out into the backyard to fight imaginary people who were most likely working for the evil Rita Reuplsa . I LOVED Tommy who was the infamous and most bad ass Green Ranger / White Ranger. He was obviously the coolest when he became the White Ranger, ftw. For my 5th birthday my mom purchased me a cheap plastic version of the White Rangers incredible Saber Sword. I absolutely loved it and I'm pretty sure I carried it around with me and even wanted to take it to Karate class.

So naturally when I was in the backyard to fight Rita Repulsa's goons I was not only armed with my ninja outfit but also with my Saber Sword. Our duplex sat right behind an alley that lead you to a gas station called the C-Store where all of the local riff raff would hang out. I was in my backyard slaying imaginary monsters when this jeep full of teenagers pulls up. I remember it was a super windy day and I was standing on top of my moms car. I had just defeated Bulk and Skull and in a triumphant gesture I held the sword up with both hands and screamed into the air, wind blowing back my over sized karate outfit and bowl cut. The teenagers in the jeep stopped, laughed uncontrollably and the girl in the passengers seat yelled "LOSER!" as they drove off. I ran inside and hid in my room. For the first time in my life I was embarrassed.

No comments: