2.23.2009

Hotel For Dogs

Recap of the last couple of days. In Lake City, FL we played with some super metal core mosh bands. Saw kids get destroyed in the mOsh pit. JVA played and no one understood what was going on. We played and I made a joke about Danny murdering someone and no one got it, but we had a great time. We played with an awesome band from Gainesville called Battle, all super duper nice fellas. At the show a few of us were standing outside when a car with green underlights pulled up. I heard this story second hand but from what I was told the car slowed down then peeled out and as it peeled out the passenger threw a full cup of soda that nailed the back of Aaron's head with sniper like aim. I wish I could have been there to see that.

Also in the parking lot across the street from the show there was a 35 year old man playing a full drum kit at 11:00 at night. Me, Mitch and Vic approached him to see what was going on. He soloed for a bit as we walked up and then stopped when we got close enough to talk. He told us he goes out there every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. His wife won't let him play drums at his house so he has to set up in random places. His parting words of wisdom were "man...I just come out here to work things out" which was immediately follwed by a John Bonham like solo. He was still playing when we left the venue around 1:00am.

We drove 35 minutes to Gainesville, FL to stay with the drummer of Battle. Had a nice sleep but kept being awoken by the snarled breathing of his little pug named Bubba. The following morning we woke up and drove to a pizza place called Leonardos. Hands down, dopest pizza I've ever ate. I got a slice of the veggie and a slice of pepperoni. Both slices exploded in my mouth with flavor like a juicy apple does. It wasn't an explosion of grease ever, all flavor, all day. If you're ever in Gainesville, FL and want cheap awesome pizza...hit up Leonardos. After that we drove a little ways out of town to hit up a skate park so the wood pushers of the group could get their skate on. I spent the whole time writing and looking for a basketball so I could go jam on some little children.

That night we had a show in Jacksonville, FL which was a mere 1 hour and a half away. The Hercules crew decided to make a pit stop at Jacksonville Beach to check out the atlantic ocean. It was pitch black and the waves were crashing huge. It was one of the coolest things I have seen. We got to the show at Doozers pub and the vibe was pretty weird because there was no one there. We dicked around for an hour or so then loaded in and kids finally started showing up. JVA played their best set of tour this night, the sound was incredible and their voices were those of angels.

We played with a street punk band called Prison Orange who's lead singer opened the show with a story about picking up a girl who ended up being a man. I didn't watch much of their set because I had to get away from all of the smoke but I heard it was a wild time. The last band was a local ska band called Hith who really tore the house down. A couple highlights from their show is 1) them playing Zombie by the Cranberries and having a 45 year old drunk man sing all of the words 2) the fact that they played for an hour and 15 minutes 3) the sublime cover they did 4) the drummers old ass parents were there watching them until 1:00am.

After the show once every one was super wasted we piled out into the parking lot to stay at the bartneders house. Mitch was so drunk that he wanted to throw up but couldn't get himself to shove his fingers down his throat. So Danny and some random drunk girl took turns shoving their fingers into mitch's throat until he puked everywhere. Vic was trying to run away because he said if he see's someone puke, he'll puke. I held him tight and made him watch the entire thing and he screamed in horror. Aaron was thrashing about, head banging around until he would fall into the dirt and gravel. He later found a piece of glass or rock in his bruised and bloody knees. Vic yelled at a 30 something year old woman who was at the bar because she had a pearl necklace on and tickets to a symphony, he didn't think she belonged there. Apparently her name is "Mrs.Doozer" because she's at the bar, Doozers Pub, all of the time. A weird night.

After a pretty long detour after the show we finally made it to the bartenders house to sleep. There were probably 17 cats in the house so I decided that I would sleep in the van with passed out Mitch. Got about 4 and a half or 5 hours of sleep then woke up at 9:45 to the hot sun beating on my face. I collected myself and rounded up to the troops to make the 7 hour trek north to Myrtle Beach, SC. Vic was nice enough to drive us there. A pretty awesome scenic drive the whole time.

The show in Myrtle Beach was the strangest show our tour for Hercules. JVA of course did great but while we played the house music stayed on so there was this weird vibe between all of the songs. 2 songs into our set the owner told us to turn down. We did then realized we can't play quiet and so we turned back up and finished our set. Played a bands last show, they were terrible. Played with a sweet country band who really wanted someone to buy us all dinner. A few of us hit up the beach and got some really awesome sea shells. It was freezing but the beach was so cool I didn't want to leave.

We drove overnight to Wilmington, NC where we're staying at Mikey's sisters awesome. I guess this is the town where they film that show "One Tree Hill." It's about noon right now and I have 6 or 7 hours to kill so maybe I'll walk around town and try to get a picture of one of the stars. That's all I really got right now. Everyone in JVA is really sick and the hercules van is finally 100% better. We have the next 3 days off which sucks super hard. We're hopefully going to stay here another full day, go back to Myrtle Beach to go to "Dixie" for free which is like Medieval Times but with the Civil War, then we'll go hang on in Atlanta, GA for a day and hopefully all get free snorg tees t-shirts.

As always give me a nice call or text message. If I don't answer your call I'm most likely in the van where I couldn't hear you if I answered or at a show where I also wouldn't be able to hear you. I miss you all back at home, let's party hard when we all get back. 12 more days I believe. Be home soon! Check back for more posts, sorry this one was so long.

No comments: