2.11.2009

I HAD A LOT OF DOWN TIME, SO I STARTED DOING CRACK

I woke up today after a terrible night of sleeping. I laid down at 1:30, woke up at 3:00 then had this schedule the rest of the night 3-615, 630-9, 945-11:15. Every time I would wake up I would try to get my eyes to focus on any sort of light so I could tip toe my way around 10 bodies until I saw the crack of light illuminating from the bathroom door. I would sit on the toilet to pee (yes, like a girl) because my fever was over 100 degrees and the thought of standing up to pee made me sick to my stomach. I would then struggle to stand up and finally make my way back on top of my sleeping back to fall asleep to the soothing sounds of Mikey Elfers snoring like a water buffalo in heat.

I woke up today feeling good but mother nature wasn't going to let the day go smooth. We headed outside to a beautiful 65 degree day in Oklahoma City, OK. The sun was shining and we were all in high spirits. After stopping for a bite to eat we headed south down I-40 to go to Amarillo. I noticed that the sky was turning darker as we drove but I didn't think anything of it as I was busy listening to the new Harms Way record thinking about how I'm too poor to be on tour. All of a sudden we saw a black mass in the distance that looked like an inverted color marshmallow man splattered across the sky.

We decided to head towards the mass...mainly because we had to. We decided to turn on the radio for any updates or instructions from the local news station. Right when the emergency weather recording came on the air it was too late. We were in the middle of a tornado watch / severe thunderstorm that was capable of producing high winds and golfball sized hail. I only wish we could have gotten golf ball sized hail today. 

We heard a boom on the roof of our van that sounded like the winged creature himself jumping on us to pry open the top of the van and rip us out to eat our skulls. If only. The winds were raging and the rain made seeing the road in front of us impossible, especially since our windshiled wipers wouldn't turn on. The hail kept coming down harder and harder and kept growing larger and larger. We decided to head onward to try and get out of the storm since we were heading in the opposite direction of it's gnarly path. While driving we heard a loud crash mixed with broken glass. Turns out a baseball sized piece of hail smashed our windshield, knocked our GPS off of it's holder and made all of us scream like toddlers.

I was then waiting for another piece to smash the windshield so we could get pummled by rain, hail, wind and then get sweeped up and tossed a mile into a fieldby a tornado only to wake up with my legs by my head and my arms in a nearby tree. After 5 minutes of hell on I-40 in Edmond, OK the storm was finally over. It left me with a new outlook on life and the great feeling of replacing a windshield on a 1995 Chevy Mark III. Thank you mother nature. Two nights ago when an owl swooped towards our van then pulled up at the last second I thought it was a good omen...I guess I was wrong.

Tonight was by far the best show of tour. Met a lot of sweet people. Found out you can kick a crack addiction by taking 3 Five Hour Energy drinks at a time and strengthened my hatred for ciggarette smoke. Still feeling sick but things are looking up. Driving to Albuquerque tomorrow. Vic threw up after ingesting 5 vegan cupcakes, 4 vegan donuts and mushrooms (not the kind you throw on a pizza pie). Fast times. 11 guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RIP ADAM MCCABE! -Mikey