6.21.2009

I dated the drummer of AFB

Wild times in California. Had a 7 hour drive up to Ventura from Arizona yesterday. Got stuck in traffic on the 101 but I didn't mind because we got to drive to Sacred Heart Hospital and I almost threw up because I was so excited. At a gas station a guy told us about his kids band who opened up for Kiss. He told us to check them out on myspace and add them so we can maybe play some shows together. The drive through California yesterday was beautiful. Mountains and farmland everywhere. Suddenly after going down into a valley the air got really cold and it felt like we were driving with the A/C on. It ruled!

We showed up to Ventura and said hi to all of our friends here. It was good seeing everyone again. While we were eating we got a call from In The Face of War. Apparently while leaving from getting gas they smashed their trailer into a pole and bent their wheel. It was a huge bummer because they couldn't make the show. They ended up fixing their trailer this morning and will meet us in Fresno today. The show was really awesome. It was in a recording studio and it was the first hardcore show to go on there. The owner was nuts and told us he played with the Sex Pistols for 18 months until he cut his fingers off, then he opened that recording studio. The only thing that sucked was the stupid fight during our set. It ended though and the show went on without any complications.

A big thing the venue was trying to instil at the show was that there were NO IN AND OUTS. Even for the band. They had a whackjob hick security guard running the door all night with a iron fist. While trying to go out to our van he stopped me and told me for the 700th time "hey! no in and outs!" I told him it was ok and I was in a band. I pointed to our van where the boys were toking on some pot, he looked back and me and made the "joint" gesture with his fingers and put it to lips. I didn't know what to do so I just said "uh, yeah." He looked at me and said "make it quick." It was fucking hilarious.

After the show we went to a crazy party in the middle of nowhere outside of Oxnard. It was this family's land surrounded by trees. We pulled up to an opening with a man made pond that had hundreds of coy fish in it. There were lights strung up, huge trucks blaring country music and weird pseudo cowboy/California bros. The party was a great time, I mainly just hung out around the fire by the pond. A drunk dude kept trying to jump in but the dude who owned the land wouldn't let him. All of the bros were pissing in the pond nearly falling in every time and it blew my mind. I felt like I was in rural Nebraska, not a big city in California.

The highlight of the night was when Vic and I started talking to this girl who asked us where we were from. We told her we were on tour from Nebraska. Her eyes lit up when she asked us "are you in a band? Have you ever been to Reno?" She informed us she was straight edge for 3 years and dated "big names" in the Reno hardcore scene such as the drummer for famed Seventh Dagger band Armed For Battle. But after a move to California to attend Paul Mitchell her edge couldn't hold up against the temptations of cigarettes. Her WASTED friend strolled over to talk to Vic and I. After talking she asked me if I was vegan straight edge. I told her yes and she said (in a drunken slur) "so you haven't ate or drank ANYTHING for 3 years?" I told her yes. She then said she went to many vegan straight edge bars in Reno but everyone there was eating sushi so she didn't think they were vegan.

She then informed us that the guys putting in A/C at her parents house suspect her and her friend of being homosexual because they share a bed. She told us "now they all thinking we're raging gay!" I lost my mind and almost fell into the fire laughing. The drunk girls continued the hilarity when they called each other retarded....

"You're a retard"
"No I'm not a retard, rain man is a retard"

They also coined the phrase "she's a zoo." Frat bros tried to kick us out of the party about 10 times but we just laughed and kept hanging out. They told Vic to walk home and he exclaimed "I live fucking 2,000 miles away." It was a wild night and we finally left there around 2:30am.

Today we're driving to Fresno, CA to play at Chinatown Youth Center then we have 3 days off. I think the days off are being spent in Santa Cruz, San Francisco & Angel Camp, CA before we play Redding on the 25th. I want to eat pizza and go sneak into Land of the Lost.

No comments: